ulimit

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at canonical.com
Wed Sep 9 18:13:24 UTC 2009

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I am sorry i didnot understand your question. How can i check on
> whether pam_limits.so in the PAM Stack.

Hi Kaushal,

Limits that you set in /etc/security/limits.conf are applied by the
pam_limits.so PAM module.  The PAM stack is configured in the various
files you can find under /etc/pam.d/.  Explaining how to configure PAM
would be a bit long, so I refer you to the Linux PAM System
Administrator Guide I linked to in my previous post for further details.

That being said, I am afraid my last post was misleading, because PAM do
not apply to daemons and services started by init AFAIK.  As such, I am
not sure how you would impose ulimit on daemon, but that is surely not
through /etc/security/limits.conf.  I will leave it to someone else to
suggest a proper approach for your use-case.

Sorry about that!

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

 ~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~