Dell PowerEdge 2850s and HP DL380s

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Wed Sep 2 17:38:53 UTC 2009

Weighing the merits of buying old iron vs. new desktop parts. Old iron comes
with Dual Xeons, Dual nics, Dual PS, RAID. New kit comes more hard disk,
dual cores, unmatched nics, and a consumer grade power supply.

Huge quantities of old iron (but not ancient) on the used market at
comparable prices to new kit.

I have had some issues with old iron in the past, rarely any issues with new
kit. Trying not to buy problems.

Thanks,

Jim

--
http://ls.net
http://drupal.ls.net

The path to God starts with a simple act of kindness.