vps recommendations

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at canonical.com
Thu Oct 22 15:53:37 UTC 2009

Jim Tarvid wrote:
> Looking for recommendations for the software platform to host virtual
> private servers.
>
> Some of my clients would like shell accounts. I am not enthusiastic
> about giving those out on shared servers.

I undertstand that you are looking to run your own VPS platform, and are
looking for software recommendation.  This is not something I can really
comment on, except to say I doubt this is really a wise move.  VPS
subscription are dirt cheap, there is just no way to justify the expense
of maintaining your own infrastructure.  Except, possibly, if you have
very stringent policy in term of accountability, that is.

FYI, I blogged about my experience with Linode:

    http://etienneg.wordpress.com/2009/08/06/pimp-my-vps-linode-com/

TL;DR: I am very satisfied with them.

Jim, if you use my referral code, I buy you a beer at the next UDS :)

(This offer is extended to anybody reading the list, btw!)

> People are selling VPSs for less than $10 per month.
>
> How is that possible?

Good question.  Linode charge me 20$/mo, which I think is a fair price.
 I would not go with those advertising rock-bottom prices, as they
*have* to be cutting corners somewhere to charge so low.

Just my two cents,

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

 ~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~