Debugging init scripts.

Jarl Friis jarl at gavia.dk
Fri Nov 27 19:54:54 UTC 2009

Hi Paul.

Paul Schulz <paul at mawsonlakes.org> writes:

> Hi Jarl,
>
> Have a look into the 'upstart' scripts, located in /etc/init for
> examples of new upstart configuration scripts.
> see: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/

Thanks a lot, that clears up things that I was not aware of...

1) The script that I have written is old sys-v style script.
2) upstarts takes a completely different approach to the boot process
using configuration files.
3) It seems that upstarts have backward compatibility configuration
file to wrap old sys-v boot scripts.

So now I have two options
1) spend lots of time learning pure upstart configuration files.
2) continue to use my sys-v style scripts.

I think I stick to the second choice. Yet  I still wonder how I can
trace any activity in my scripts. For example are they executed at
all?, and if not, why not? If they fail, how can I figure uot why
they fail?

Any help is appreciated. I may sound a complete newbie, but actually I
am not, I am just completely new to upstart, and I feel completely
lost without logging facility.

Jarl

--
Jarl Friis