NetWork interface trouble...

Gilberto Nunes gilberto.nunes at selbetti.com.br
Mon Nov 23 10:26:51 UTC 2009

Hi Serge

First, it is necessary to me apologise by my poor badly English...
I really sorry...
But this issue make me very confused, because I never replace the NIC's,
also never replace the mother board....
The MAC address is the some of initial instalation...
But, I will try do what you suggest with udev trigger command...

Sorry for all disturb..

Thanks

Em Sáb, 2009-11-21 às 11:10 +0100, Serge van Ginderachter escreveu:
> 2009/11/20 Gilberto Nunes <gilberto.nunes at selbetti.com.br>:
> > I'm in trouble here!
>
> Ouch.
>
> > I have a Dell PowerEdge T300 that I install Ubuntu Server 9.10 and now I
> > can see one of 2 network interfaces...
>
> Please define what you mean by "I can see":
> - kernel hardware detection log? (dmesg)
> - ifconfig output?
> - somewhere else?
>
> > The two interfaces is already enable on bios, but when I boot the system
> > I can't map the interface eth0!
>
> What exactly do you mean by "can't map"? Which config are you editing
> and/or which command are you trying to execute? What error messages do
> you get?
>
> > I know why this happen.
>
> O. Please tell us why this hapens? But I guess you meant "I don't know"?
>
> > When I install the soft, both two interfaces are seeing by the system...
>
> I guess you that's during the network wizzard?
>
> > Somebody has the same situation???
>
> My educated guess is that both nic's are detected properly, and you
> configured only one of them during OS setup (which is the normal and
> only thing to do at that time.) That would be eth0
>
> Somehow, things got changed or mixed up after that, did you switch
> network cards? Mother board? Or did whatever it takes to have new mac
> addresses for your nic(s)?
>
> The error message about eth0 being renamed to eth1 happens most often
> because your system remembers the mac address of the origiban eth0.
> When you get a new card with another mac address, it will rename the
> interface to the next available number.
>

> Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules as jorge told you, or
> maybe just delete that file, and issue the command "udevadm trigger",
> then cast "service networking restart". As it looks from here, that
> should do it.

Gilberto Nunes Ferreira
TI
Selbetti Gestão de Documentos