logrotate problem (maybe)

Imre Gergely gimre at narancs.net
Sun May 10 17:20:49 UTC 2009

Michael Zoet wrote:

> To make things worse: there are many different syslog
> implementations... I stopped keeping track of them and their features...

Yeah, just checked on Fedora and there's no script in cron.* for syslog
to rotate stuff on it's own. True, it's syslog-ng installed over there.
Not to start a philosophy session, but personally I like logrotate to do
the rotation job, syslog should just write stuff in files.

> I think you should also read the syslog documentation. I can not tell

The funny thing is, there's no mention about rotating stuff in man
syslog.conf, or man sysklogd, or man syslogd... that's what got me
confused. Then there's that Debian readme in logrotate package (that's
why I thought about all this being some Debian trick).
Mentioning this in logrotate.conf would be nice also, because you don't
see it by default, you're just assuming logrotate takes care of
everything (at least I assumed that, coming from Redhat/Fedora).

Anyway, for a quick fix I purged the sysklogd package, and installed
syslog-ng which _doesn't_ have any rotating "skills" (none installed by
default anyway), and leaves it all to logrotate.

I'm already sorry I picked at this syslog issue :) should've left it
alone, but I do like to keep the logfiles clean and tidy, one never
knows. Maybe I should not have just assumed that it will work exactly
like on Redhat*.

--
Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre