logrotate problem (maybe)

Imre Gergely gimre at narancs.net
Sun May 10 08:22:22 UTC 2009

Björn Torkelsson wrote:

> Read /usr/share/doc/logrotate/README.Debian

Ouch... is this a Debian 'invention', or do other distros use it?
Anybody care to enlighten me why this is good? Some pointers to a
maillist discussion maybe?
How can it be disabled without messing with /etc/syslog.conf ?

I looked at /etc/cron.*/sysklogd, and there is a syslogd-listfiles
script, which lists some logfiles to be rotated.

gimre at ds9:/etc/cron.daily$ syslogd-listfiles
/var/log/syslog
gimre at ds9:/etc/cron.daily$ syslogd-listfiles -w
/var/log/user.log
/var/log/debug
/var/log/pdns.log
/var/log/mail.err
/var/log/lpr.log
/var/log/kern.log

The first list is the list of daily rotated logfiles, notice the
/var/log/mail.* missing, and only mail.err is in the second list (to be
rotated weekly).

So I still don't know where the mail.log, mail.info and mail.warn get
rotated.

--
Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre