problem with virtio nic in Jaunty kvm host with Hardy guest

James Dinkel jdinkel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 21:09:43 UTC 2009

After upgrading to Jaunty Alpha 6 on my kvm server, my Ubuntu Hardy guest
servers would freeze during boot.  After some playing around, I figured out
I need to change the nic type from virtio to e1000 (or probably anything
other than virtio would work).  This seems to be a bug, but my last bug
report I discovered I was overlooking something right after submitting the
bug report, so I thought I'd better throw this one out to the mailing list
:D.

I figured this out after trying to install a new guest and the install froze
right before configuring the network.  If you create a guest using
virt-install and specify '--os-type=linux --os-variant=ubuntuHardy' then it
will create a guest with a virtio nic and will freeze during install.

James