tomcat packaging concerns from upstream (was Re: [Fwd: Request to mailing list ubuntu-devel rejected])

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 1 23:39:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 08:41:51PM -0800, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> Attempts to disscuss the following topic:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.tomcat.user/172013
>
> have been rejected.
>
> The tomcat list directs this concern to the ubuntu list, which has in
> the past only offered the consensus advice of not to use the package
> manager.  Hence the attempts to post to the devel list.

tomcat6 seems to be the only version of Tomcat in Ubuntu main, and it
appears to have been quite extensively repackaged since tomcat5.5. The
ubuntu-server mailing list would be the best place to discuss this, I
think; Thierry Carrez and Mathias Gug have been working on it in Ubuntu.
It seems to address at least some of the concerns in the mailing list
post above, but I am nothing like an expert on it myself and can only
point you in the right direction.

tomcat5.5 is in our "universe" component
(http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components). The
differences between the Debian and Ubuntu tomcat5.5 packages appear to
be rather small, so concerns about it would probably be best directed to
the Debian maintainer. The advertised mailing list for that is:

  Debian Java Maintainers <pkg-java-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org>

Regards,