trouble updating 7.04 -> 7.10

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:20:23 UTC 2009

Ante Karamatić wrote:
> U Ned, 01. 03. 2009., u 10:41 -0500, sean darcy je napisao/la:
>
>> Well it seems more complicated than that. See:
>
> That description there is wrong. I'll contact someone to fix it. The
> 'cookbook' I described works, it's not a random guess. It's a conclusion
> on basis of a code review of update-manager and two upgrades (to prove
> the findings). If that's not enough for you, check out the code your
> self.
>
> I'm surprised that you asked for help, and once the help was given (on
> Sunday), you concluded that the help wasn't good enough without even
> trying.
>
>> This amount of hacking without any QA work, quite frankly, scares me. I
>> may be left with a hunk of metal. I do find it surprising that such an
>> important part of the ubuntu infrastructure fails. As it stands now,
>> without some/a lot of hacking you can't do a network upgrade from any
>> release that's not on archive.ubuntu.com.
>
> The amount of 'hacking' (I wouldn't call this hacking) is maybe too
> much, but it's also true that you are upgrading unsupported software for
> which, while software was supported, upgrade worked just fine.
>
> Once you upgrade to gutsy, be sure to upgrade to hardy asap, since EOL
> for gutsy is couple of months away.

Sorry. I didn't realize you had done so much in this area. When I saw
the web page with the additional complications I thought this was
becoming more difficult than I was prepared for.

I do appreciate your help - especially on Sunday. I'll take a deep
breath, make a small burnt sacrifice, and try your suggestion.

sean