trouble updating 7.04 -> 7.10

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Sun Mar 1 17:11:28 UTC 2009

U Ned, 01. 03. 2009., u 02:36 +0100, Sebastien Estienne je napisao/la:

> why not just patching the python code of do-release-upgrade to
> skip/modify the part of the code that is wrong?

If locales would support locale named 'old-releases.', then exporting
LANG="old-releases." and running do-release-upgrade would almost do the
trick :)

Basically, update-manager is fine. The tar.gz archive, downloaded from
archive mirror should be fixed. It contains semi hard coded source
mirror. It looks at locale settings to decide what to prepend to
archive.ubuntu.com. Since, old-releases isn't part of archive, but has
separate URL old-releases.archive.ubuntu.com, a bit more tweaking is
needed. It's actually quite easy, as I've described in answer to Sean's
post.

If upgrades from EOL releases to supported releases is something we
should opt for (and I think we should, since obviously, there's a need
for that), fix to those tar.gz is needed.