trouble updating 7.04 -> 7.10

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Sun Mar 1 16:58:46 UTC 2009

U Ned, 01. 03. 2009., u 10:41 -0500, sean darcy je napisao/la:

> Well it seems more complicated than that. See:

That description there is wrong. I'll contact someone to fix it. The
'cookbook' I described works, it's not a random guess. It's a conclusion
on basis of a code review of update-manager and two upgrades (to prove
the findings). If that's not enough for you, check out the code your
self.

I'm surprised that you asked for help, and once the help was given (on
Sunday), you concluded that the help wasn't good enough without even
trying.

> This amount of hacking without any QA work, quite frankly, scares me. I
> may be left with a hunk of metal. I do find it surprising that such an
> important part of the ubuntu infrastructure fails. As it stands now,
> without some/a lot of hacking you can't do a network upgrade from any
> release that's not on archive.ubuntu.com.

The amount of 'hacking' (I wouldn't call this hacking) is maybe too
much, but it's also true that you are upgrading unsupported software for
which, while software was supported, upgrade worked just fine.

Once you upgrade to gutsy, be sure to upgrade to hardy asap, since EOL
for gutsy is couple of months away.