trouble updating 7.04 -> 7.10

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 15:41:12 UTC 2009

Ante Karamatić wrote:
> U Ned, 01. 03. 2009., u 09:41 +0100, Ante Karamatić je napisao/la:
>
>> 6. follow the instructions on the screen
>
> Oh, lol:
>
> 1. rm -rf /tmp/tmp*
> 2. run do-release-upgrade (it will fail)
> 3. rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/prerequists-sources.list
> 4. cd /tmp/tmp(some random string)
> 5. edit prerequists-sources.list and replace ${countrymirror}archive
> with old-releases
> 6. ./gutsy --mode server
> 7. follow the instructions on the screen

Well it seems more complicated than that. See:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

Once in /tmp/tmpxxxx you've got to both change prerequists-sources.list
AND change the other sources back to _archive.ubuntu.com_ so that the
upgrade can find the gutsy packages.

This amount of hacking without any QA work, quite frankly, scares me. I
may be left with a hunk of metal. I do find it surprising that such an
important part of the ubuntu infrastructure fails. As it stands now,
without some/a lot of hacking you can't do a network upgrade from any
release that's not on archive.ubuntu.com.

So I'll be running feisty.

sean