Ubuntu Server tips fortune?

James Dinkel jdinkel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 01:51:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Jean Daniel
<jeandaniel.browne at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The etckeeper explanation is not very clear:
>
> etckeeper
> --------------
> The etckeeper package allows you to save all the changes you make in
> a bazaar repository. Quite useful to track and revert changes.
>
> I propose:
>
> """The etckeeper package allows you to save all the changes you make
> to /etc thanks to
> a bazaar repository. Quite useful to track and revert changes."""
>
> Or shorter:
>
> """The etckeeper package allows to save the changes made to /etc.
> Quite useful to track and revert changes."""
>
> Also, I propose the classic Bash tips:
>
> Bash
> ----
> Browse the command line history with Ctrl-R and then type a few
> characters that you know are part of the command you are looking for.
>
> Edit the command line with cut and paste. ctrl-k for cut, and ctrl-y for
> paste.
>
> Reach the end-of-line and beginning of line with Ctrl-e and ctrl-a.
>
> Cheers,

Nice Bash tips.  I like the etckeeper explanation as it is (it's also a nice
tip I had not heard of).

I think some tips on screen would be good.  It took me forever to figure out
that things like C-a X, ^a x or even Ctl-a x meant hold and release ctl and
"a" then press "x".  Some useful commands to point out would be create
window, next window, previous window, disconnect, kill window, and help (c,
n, p, d, k, and ?) in addition to the commands 'screen -r', 'screen -rd',
and 'screen -ls'.

James