Ubuntu Server tips fortune?

Nick Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Tue Jun 23 16:12:39 UTC 2009

Following up on a discussion started at UDS, and continued in the last
Ubuntu Server community meeting, I have just started a wiki page to list
possible tips for Ubuntu Server Edition:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/server-tips

Background:
Motd currently displays 7 lines of legal warning that takes up usefull
space. This could be done by only displaying this if there is no
~/.legal_seen file and add it once displayed.

Kirkland has already implemented it, we are waiting for legal to approve
the change.

Given the reclaimed extra space, and in order to provide visibility to
new or important features in Ubuntu Server Edition, we could add an
ubuntu-server-tips package, installed by default, that would randomly
display 2 lines of text at the end of the motd coming from a list of
tips placed in a given directory.

The Goal of the page is to list possible tips for inclusion in the next
release of Ubuntu Server Edition. Feel free to add to this list, all
tips are welcome but should be solely related to functionalities
provided in Ubuntu Server Edition.

If you have comments or suggestions about a given tip, please add them
just bellow the tip, prefixing your remark by your name or irc nick.

Thanks,
Nick