work around for loading qlogic fibre channel card firmware in initramfs

James Dinkel jdinkel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 19:09:44 UTC 2009

I'm getting ready to use Jaunty on a Dell server with QLogic fibre channel
cards in it.  I'm getting the firmware error described here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/328550.  The workaround
says this:

"You can trivially add support by creating your own file in
/etc/initramfs-tools/hooks that copies /lib/udev/firmware.sh and the
/lib/firmware/ql2400_fw.bin file into the initramfs"

(In my case the firmware would be ql23xx_fw.bin ).  But I don't understand,
how do I copy a file into the initramfs.  I have no idea what that means.

James