Does anyone else think Ubuntu Server Online Training costs far too much?

Serge van Ginderachter serge at vanginderachter.be
Sun Jun 7 09:39:31 UTC 2009

2009/6/7 Luke L <lukehasnoname at gmail.com>:
> I've always thought the price of "official" training courses on
> technical skills for certifications was outrageous. However,
> Canonical's server training requires no hotel reservations. No travel
> on their end, either.

On a typical course you have:

- say 4 or 5 trainees, makes total turnover for this course around 9k - 11k
- a 40 hours training, that's 5 days, paying a teacher, say at a fee
of 600-800 a day, costs 3k-4k
- having a full classroom equiped with hardware, not sure what this
costs? somewhere between 1k and 2k?
- 4-5 trainees + teacher getting free food and drinks, say 100$
- if company is paying for hotel costs for the teacher: add 500$t to 1k

so far total income between 1.900$ and 5.900$

Add to this costs of marketing, sales, administration and business risk.

You might end up for a net profit of 0$ to a couple of thousands.

Add to this that nowadays having 4 to 5 people in a class is a good
score. Often trainings come through for 3 people, sometimes making
some loss on it.
As other stated, these rates a standard industry rate, and I think
it's obvious this are not overrated.

I'm not sure how prices in dollar and in Euros kan compare. If these
numbers were in Euro, I'll agree they are a bit high.
For comparison, I have myself been teaching a Linux training course
[1] (which is often given on Ubuntu pc's, sometimes mixed with redhat
virtual machines). One example here, typically with 4 students, paying
1650 Euro for a 4 days course. I got a decent rate payed and hotel
costs payed by the company.

     Serge van Ginderachter

[1] not so shaless plugg as it's freely available: free pdf for Linux
Training course on http://linux-training.be/