Does anyone else think Ubuntu Server Online Training costs far too much?

Andres E. Rodriguez Lazo andreserl at ubuntu-pe.org
Sun Jun 7 02:45:19 UTC 2009

In Peru costs vary on the city.

For example in the Peruvian capital a MCITP: Server Administrator (4
courses) costs around 2500.
A CCNA costs around 1500 USD.

In other cities, such as mine, a MCITP: Server Admin is around 1600 USD.
A CCNA is around 900 USD.

So I would say that the costs of the course should vary depending on the
country... since people in many countries might not be able to pay such
amount of money.

Cheers,

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Nick Fox <nickj.fox at gmail.com> wrote:

> While the cost is allot, it is in line with the rest of the industry. Have
> a look at other specialized training similar to this.
>
> A few examples:
>
> Red Hat Cert.
> CISSP Boot Camps
> MCSE Boot Camps
> CCNA Boot Camps
>
> In retrospect to these training sessions and others like them, its a
> reasonable cost.
>
> -Nick
>

> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Luke L <lukehasnoname at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've always thought the price of "official" training courses on
>> technical skills for certifications was outrageous. However,
>> Canonical's server training requires no hotel reservations. No travel
>> on their end, either.
>>
>> I don't think Canonical needs to charge $2,200 per attendee on a 40
>> hour course to cover costs and make some money. Many universities
>> don't charge that much for a 3 credit hour semester long course. If
>> Canonical made their services stand out as the best VALUE option for
>> Linux systems, people will come in droves. The more enthusiasts and
>> professionals you can put out that are certified (and truly qualified)
>> to use and deploy Ubuntu Server, the better. You aren't going to get
>> very many people outside large organizations to sign up for this, as
>> Ubuntu skills aren't in nearly as much demand as other Linux systems.
>>
>> Something to consider is this:
>> http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57308
>>
>> Short story: When Steam dropped the cost of a very successful game by
>> 50%, its sales went through the roof. Now, Canonical is selling a
>> service here, not software, so I appreciate the difference. However,
>> the point remains (even without the example) that lower cost generally
>> leads to greater demand. Charge a REASONABLE, AFFORDABLE price for a
>> QUALITY product, and people will come.
>>
>> Finally, I cannot know the full costs to Canonical of hosting this
>> program, I can only know that $2,200 is a lot of money. Companies
>> don't always pay for training, you know.
>>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, really. I would like any insight possible, I
>> am just sharing my thoughts on the matter.
>> --
>> Luke L.
>>
>> --

Andres E. Rodriguez Lazo (RoAkSoAx)