bus error when using network services

Jason Joines joines at as.okstate.edu
Tue Jun 2 15:30:44 UTC 2009

Jim Tarvid wrote:
> I suspect a kernel upgrade and a PAE problem. The kernel upgrade was pending
> a restart. Usually not a problem unless using the "server" kernel (or more
> than 3GB RAM).
>
> Your distro is out of date and a dist-upgrade is not "automatic" any more. A
> non-server (alternate) Dapper LTS would probably be best fit.
>
> Unless your labor is cheap and your wallet is thin, I'd recommend a hardware
> upgrade. $100 P4 servers abound on the surplus market.
>
> Jim
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:06 AM, marius adrian popa <mapopa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Jason Joines <joines at as.okstate.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>      I have a dell 2550 with Ubuntu 7.10.  The data center where it is
>>> located had to move it so I powered down.  The move just involved
>>> spinning the rack around and moving it back a few feet, then it was
>>> plugged back into the same switch port etc.
>>>
>>>      When I powered it back up, I couldn't connect to it via SSH but
>>> could ping it.  I logged into the console and ssh wasn't running, and
>>> gave the message "bus error" when I tried to start it.  The same thing
>>> happened for apache2, bacula and postfix.  I also got the "bus error"
>>> message when I tried to use the host command and when I tried to use the
>>> ssh client.
>> could you give more details about the error  ?
>> bus error and some more info
>> maybe start sshd in debug mode
>>>      There doesn't seem to be any errors in the logs or dmesg output.
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>>> Jason Joines

     I hadn't considered that but it seems unlikely as I only ran
updates manually.  Also, it wasn't running the server kernel.  I
remember that when I couldn't install 7.10 with the server kernel.

     I realize 7.10 is past end of life.  I'd like to upgrade to 8.04
but has an issue with the raid controller on these boxes (there's a
thread about that on this list too).  I have several of them I need to
keep using for a while so I'm going to have to pick a different
distribution but haven't decided on one yet.

     In the meantime, I can occasionally spare labor and rarely dollars
so I need to try and fix this.

Jason