work around for loading qlogic fibre channel card firmware in initramfs

James Dinkel jdinkel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 17:07:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Dag Stenstad <stenstad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, sorry for not answering the list, but I saw your message on the web
> archives of the mailinglist.
>
> The Clariiiion multipath works in a way wich makes the paths
> ACTIVE/INACTIVE. Only 1 path is usually active. You were just unlucky to hit
> the wrong path. :-)
>
> I have IBM blades connected to an EMC Clariiion SAN, without properitary
> modules/software. I boot from SAN.
>
> You must install multipath-tools and if you want to boot
> multipath-tools-boot.
>
> My /etc/multipath.conf:
>
> defaults {
>     user_friendly_names yes
> }
>
> blacklist {
>   wwid 26353900f02796769
>   devnode "^(ram|raw|loop|fd|md|dm-|sr|scd|st)[0-9]*"
>   devnode "^hd[a-z][[0-9]*]"
>   devnode "^cciss!c[0-9]d[0-9]*[p[0-9]*]"
>   device {
>     vendor DEC.*
>     product MSA[15]00
>   }
> }
>
> devices {
>         device {
>                  vendor                 "DGC"
>                  product                "*"
>                  path_grouping_policy   group_by_prio
>                  getuid_callout         "/lib/udev/scsi_id -g -u -s
> /block/%n"
>                  prio_callout           "/sbin/mpath_prio_emc /dev/%n"
>                  hardware_handler       "1 emc"
>                  features               "1 queue_if_no_path"
>                  no_path_retry          300
>                  path_checker           emc_clariion
>                  failback               immediate
>         }
> }
>
> This is on Hardy, but not much has changed I think.
>
> Emulex cards in these blades, but I have a simmilar machines using QLogic
> and other SANs as well, mostly IBM SANs.

Thanks for the reply.  This gives me hope at least that maybe I'll revisit
this issue.  However, I did install multipath-tools but the strange thing is
it did NOT create an /etc/multipath.conf file.  So I'm not sure if I just
need to create the file myself or if multipath is changed or broken in
Ubuntu 9.04.

Brazen