Call for testing screen-profiles

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 15 22:35:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:09:51PM +0100, Mark Schouten wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 15:29 -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> > Shall we open the floor for other suggested escape sequences?  Please
> > explain your rationale for why your escape sequence is better than
> > ctrl-a and ctrl-g...

I had voted for ctrl-z since it's rare that I background processes, and is
very close to ctrl-a.

> 1: Lot's of people do not have a clue what ctrl-a does. Since Ubuntu
> focuses on ease of use, it also automatically attrackts less experienced
> users who will not know what ctrl-a is.

Less experienced users won't likely have an opinion if they don't already
use screen.

> 2: Experienced screen-users will default to ctrl-a since that's what
> they're using for years.

This is true, but I think it's worth discussing what would make the most
general sense, if we're suggesting a set of defaults.  ctrl-a conflicts
with editor motions, so it's not a clear-cut winner.

> 3: Ctrl-a can be done using one hand. ctrl-a space/$digit switches
> windows. Maybe it's me, but I don't feel like pressing ctrl-g is a
> comfortable move, typing wise.

Ctrl-anything can be done with one hand...  if you mean left-handed, "g" is
still on the left hand.  The traditional qwerty split is "g" on the left.

I still like ctrl-z, but hey, that's what .screenrc is for.  :)

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team