Newbie JEOS question

Gaute Amundsen gaute at pht.no
Sat Feb 14 14:04:15 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 February 2009 14:19:42 Serge van Ginderachter wrote:
> Hi,
>

> You should see JeOS as the same product as Ubuntu server.
> The difference lies mostly in list of packages in the default install,
> which is the very bare minimum minimorum, and with a tuned kernel that only
> contains the base elements needed to run within a virtualized environment.

Well, that is what logic tells me too.

> Check the specs on
> http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/jeos

That is precisely the page that had me worried with "appliance" talk :)
And this one too:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS

> I see JeOS as the more proper install media, for virtual servers. After
> setup, you just add packages and tweak like any other OS, but you start
> from a more bare OS, which was tuned for the "Virtual Hardware".
>
> In conclusion, I'd say that yes, JeOS in suitable for your need.
>
>         Serge

Great! Just what I wanted to hear :)

It would have been rather embarrassing to make jeos the basis for this new
set-up, just to discover the system and kernel was tuned for single-service
VMs or something.

Thanks

Gaute