Server Team 20090210 meeting minutes

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 11 00:04:55 UTC 2009

Hi Etienne,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 05:53:54PM -0500, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Mathias Gug wrote:
> > ==== Postfix and Dovecot integration ====
> >
> > ivoks gave a status of the dovecot/postfix integration planned for jaunty. The
> > goal is to have postfix use the dovecot lda, provide SASL authentication via
> > dovecot and use maildir as the default mail store. After some discussion it
> > was suggested to provide a different dovecot configuration file (dovecot-
> > postfix.conf) and modify dovecot's init script to use it if available instead
> > of the default configuration file.
>
> Maybe it should be toggled by a variable in /etc/default/postfix?

Configuring postfix from the package maintainer scripts is not a big
problem since the postconf command can be used to change postfix
configuration. The issue is how to handle dovecot configuration.

> While on the subject, instead of having Postfix deliver directly to
> Maildir,  was using the Dovecot's deliver command considered?  Doing so
> would allow the use of Sieve script to get the elusive server-side
> filtering functionality without resorting to procmail.  On my own mail
> server, I use the following in main.cf:
>
>     mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -m "${EXTENSION}"

This is the plan: have postfix use the dovecot lda. There are also plans
to enable the managesieve daemon (in dovecot) by default. All of this
would be done by a new binary package: dovecot-postfix - part of the
dovecot source package.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com