Server Team 20080930 meeting minutes

Mathias Gug mathiaz at
Tue Sep 30 23:50:35 UTC 2008


Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with        
the irc logs here:        

==== Ubuntu vm builder ====

soren uploaded a new version that only fixes bugs. mathiaz asked about the
supported images. soren said that xen had been supported for a few weeks now.
He added that there was some interest to get virtualbox supported as well. For
vmware nijaba stated that player, workstation and server should work. For ESX
it may need a manual conversion with tools provided by VMware. Testing on
these platforms is welcome.

nijaba has updated the the JeOS VmBuilder tutorial[1] and would like to get
some feedback on it.


==== JeOS for Intrepid ====

mathiaz noted that the JeOS iso won't be produced for Intrepid. JeOS is
instead an option when booting the -server installer by pressing F4 at the
first screen. JeOS has also been renamed to Minimal Install.

However the linux-image-virtual kernel meta package isn't available. The
-server flavor is installed instead. soren is working on getting the virtual
meta packages ready. mathiaz asked whether something else had to be done in
the installer to get the virtual flavor installed. soren said the virtual
flavor should be seeded but wasn't sure if the installer code had to be

==== Review ServerGuide for Intrepid ====

mathiaz reviewed the ldap section. He is planning on doing more testing to
cover the replication section.

ACTION: sommer to update the JeOS and installation sections

ACTION: zul to do review of the virtualization of the server guide

ACTION: mathiaz to update the support section

==== nagios3 in main ====

Koon reported that nagios3 had been promoted to main. mathiaz seeded the
packages on the server cd replacing the nagios2 packages.

==== Ubuntu Server Survey ====

nijaba announced that the Ubuntu Server survey had been launched. So far it
got more than 2000 full replies. The result will be published before UDS. The
survey will be closed on the last week of November. He also added that the
launch plan was working well. Digging it[2] is welcome !

ACTION: kirkland to blog about the server survey


==== Beta Freeze and release ====

mathiaz reminded that the archive was frozen in preparation for Beta scheduled
for Thursday. As usual iso testing is coordinated on the Iso testing


==== Automatic RAID install ====

mathiaz reported that partman-auto-raid had been promoted to main and was now
on the server iso. RAID installation can now be automated via preseeding.

==== DRBD ====

ivoks reported that DRBD was broken in Intrepid. The kernel module (8.2.6)
isn't working with the tools (8.0.12) currently in the archive. He also added
that updating the tools to 8.2.6 wouldn't fix the issue. He successfully
tested 8.2.7rc1 (both for the kernel module and the userspace tools).

ACTION: ivoks to send the drbd patch to the ubuntu-kernel mailing list to get
8.2.7rc1 in intrepid

ACTION: ivoks to upload 8.2.7 tools to a PPA ready for testing and sponsoring

==== Agree on next meeting date and time ====

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 7th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer

More information about the ubuntu-server mailing list