Creating a encrypted directory during the server installation

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Tue Sep 23 21:48:10 UTC 2008

On 24/09/08 01:43, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> That said, let me throw out another perhaps more controversial
> option...  What if we didn't ask, and we just provided ~/Private
> encrypted by default?  If unspecified, the mount passphrase is
> randomly generated from 128 bits of /dev/urandom.  We can do that
> completely entirely and reliably without adding a screen to the
> installer, and provide the system administrator user a secure,
> encrypted location to drop critical data by default on any Ubuntu
> Server
When I saw the previous posts come past I wondered if this wasn't a
better option. Leading by example.

I'm not familiar with how it's created, but could it be "built-in" as
you suggest and be created when an account is made as part of the
adduser process?

Could the (initial) pass-phrase be the user's login password?

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..