Creating a encrypted directory during the server installation

Thierry Carrez thierry.carrez at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 23 06:46:20 UTC 2008

I think encryption (whether full-disk or private encrypted dir) is an
absolute necessity on laptops. The private encrypted dir solution, with
its small performance hit, should even be enabled by default as a best
practice.

For desktops/servers, it can be useful, so it's more a question of
visibility of the feature vs. usability of the installer. At that point
I think we can still have an extra screen. However in the near future we
need to redesign the installer / tasksel screens so that we can expose
more and more features/stacks/roles to be installed on the server
without bloating the installer or hurting its usability.

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team