Creating a encrypted directory during the server installation

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 22 17:09:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 05:07:59PM +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> I doubt I would choose this for my servers - I may add it on at a later
> time through a command or set of commands.

I think that the work done by Dustin is excellent, useful and worth
advertising as much as possible. The process to set up encrypted
directories has been streamlined a lot thanks to his work.

However I wonder if asking the user to setup encrypted directories
during the -server installation process is useful.  We try to keep the
installer as simple and straight forward as possible for the majority of
users. Is it worth adding another step to the installation process that
covers only a minority of -server use cases ?

The question is not whether encrypted directories are useful in a server
environment - they are for specific use cases (login servers, file
servers, not so much for database servers, http or mail servers) - but
whether it's worth adding an extra step to the installation process
asking the user to setup encrypted directories for the system.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com