Hostname in 8.04

Andrew Hodgson Andrew.Hodgson at allpay.net
Thu Sep 18 11:00:13 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I am relatively new to Ubuntu but have used Debian.

I installed a couple of servers for use with LAMP projects.  On the
first server I installed, when asked for the hostname, I entered in the
FQDN of the server.

I noticed afterwards that doing hostname -f gave
server.domain.com.domain.com, and thus when I do some package installs,
they are thinking the FQDN is the same.  I did a new install on a
different server, and just entered in the hostname without the domain,
then ensured that /etc/resolv.conf was configured correctly, and now get
the expected output.

Is this normal behaviour, and is the recommendation to have the
/etc/hostname set to just the server name (without the domain)?

Thanks.
Andrew.

--
allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone, Hereford, HR1 3SE.
Registered in England No. 02933191. UK VAT Reg. No. 666 9148 88.

Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041.
Website: www.allpay.net
Email: enquiries at allpay.net

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the allpay.net Information Security Manager at the number above.