developing Live CDs and other ways to get involved (Re: using a Live CD to transparently migrate Microsoft file and print sharing (Re: TurnKey Linux: new project builds Ubuntu based Live CD appliances)

Liraz Siri liraz at turnkeylinux.org
Mon Sep 15 12:51:05 UTC 2008

Neil Wilson wrote:

| Any particular reason you don't want to publish the process to create
| TurnKey CDs? It seems to me that that would be the best way to get
| community involvement.

Thanks for the feedback!

The development process for creating a Live CD from scratch is a bit
complicated and that can raise the bar for involvement quite high. There
is nothing secret about it though, it is pretty well documented:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomizationFromScratch

And If you're looking for a more automated approach:

http://www.gnewsense.org/Builder/HowToCreateYourOwnGNULinuxDistribution

Most users will find it easier to get involved via testing, bug
reporting, and participating in discussions on the forums and mailing list.

We recognize that not everyone is a technical expert with a lot of free
time on their hands and that besides development there are many other
ways to make a valuable contribution to an opensource project, so that's
what we're encouraging.

BTW, hacking an existing appliance is much easier than building one from
scratch and there are many tools available to help you do that that
should be fully compatible with TurnKey Linux (e.g., UCK, remastersys).
To lower the bar further, we'll also working on an easy customization
mechanism:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/turnkeylinux/+spec/easy-customization

Finally, we publish all of the source code to any custom components we
create (e.g., di-live) here:

http://code.turnkeylinux.org/

The binary packages themselves, which are fully compatible with Ubuntu
hardy, are available at:

http://archive.turnkeylinux.org/

I hope this helps.

Cheers,