TurnKey Linux: new project builds Ubuntu based Live CD appliances

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Sep 15 08:49:22 UTC 2008

On 15/09/08 15:44, concatenate wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
>
>> Along these lines, I've been interested in integrating not only packages, but
>> specific configurations for specific purposes.  Somewhat along the lines of
>> what you are doing, I wrote:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerFlavorSpec
>>
>> Note:  This is unimplemented and unapproved.
>>

> The reason I joined the Ubuntu Server mailing list was to see if
> Ubuntu ever planned to make a sort of alternative to windows domains.
> Basically have a standard directory and authentication framework, and
> allow clients to join if they have the proper password or other creds.
> Administration of the central services could then be pretty standard,
> and well understood even across different sites.
>
> I'm not saying that Ubuntu needs to do this, or that a
> feature-by-feature windows domain replacement is the right approach,
> only that something like this seems wise to me. Scott's ideas seem
> like a step along the path toward such a "standard" infrastructure.
> Have such things been discussed by the team? I haven't seen any
> mention of it.
>
> Ubuntu desktop does a good job of making windows desktops less
> necessary, and perhaps it's a logical next step to make windows
> domains less necessary?
>
> Don't be confused by my statements and actually think that I've put a
> lot of thought into this - I haven't. :) Just thinking out loud more
> than anything else.

Wow,

Everything old is new again. Here is a link to an article[1] I wrote in
November 2003 which describes some of what you describe and combines
nicely with TurnKey :)

    * http://itmaze.com.au/articles/cio/

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..