TurnKey Linux: new project builds Ubuntu based Live CD appliances

concatenate infosec at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 07:44:06 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:

> Along these lines, I've been interested in integrating not only packages, but
> specific configurations for specific purposes.  Somewhat along the lines of
> what you are doing, I wrote:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerFlavorSpec
>
> Note:  This is unimplemented and unapproved.

The reason I joined the Ubuntu Server mailing list was to see if
Ubuntu ever planned to make a sort of alternative to windows domains.
Basically have a standard directory and authentication framework, and
allow clients to join if they have the proper password or other creds.
Administration of the central services could then be pretty standard,
and well understood even across different sites.

I'm not saying that Ubuntu needs to do this, or that a
feature-by-feature windows domain replacement is the right approach,
only that something like this seems wise to me. Scott's ideas seem
like a step along the path toward such a "standard" infrastructure.
Have such things been discussed by the team? I haven't seen any
mention of it.

Ubuntu desktop does a good job of making windows desktops less
necessary, and perhaps it's a logical next step to make windows
domains less necessary?

Don't be confused by my statements and actually think that I've put a
lot of thought into this - I haven't. :) Just thinking out loud more
than anything else.