TurnKey Linux: new project builds Ubuntu based Live CD appliances

Liraz Siri liraz at turnkeylinux.org
Sun Sep 14 13:54:32 UTC 2008

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Along these lines, I've been interested in integrating not only packages, but
> specific configurations for specific purposes.  Somewhat along the lines of
> what you are doing, I wrote:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerFlavorSpec

Bending DI and FAI to integrate complete systems is probably possible
but the devil is really in the details and this seems to be quite a
complex approach. From our experience the development process for
pre-integrated purpose-specific systems can be quite complex as it is
and (depending on your approach) may require a non-trivial investment in
infrastructure (e.g., Canonical's infrastructure).

Unfortunately, Canonical has enough on their plate without taking on the
development of a whole family of Ubuntu-based appliances.

If you have ideas for custom Ubuntu "flavors" (what we call appliances)
you would like to see implemented in the near future, we would love for
you to piggyback on our efforts and help nudge TurnKey Linux in the
direction you are interested in! Experiment with Ubuntu, describe the
appliance you would like to see built in enough detail (e.g., packages,
configuration tweaks), we'll build it, sourceforge will host it, the
community will test it, rinse, lather, repeat.

The more people get involved the sooner we can have a whole bunch of
opensource appliances to fill every nook and cranny.

Cheers,
Liraz