OS Reboot on NetworkFailure

Henri Cook ubuntu-server at theplayboymansion.net
Sat Sep 6 10:40:37 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

I'm using DRBD to mount a RAID1-over-net type drive, mounted at /shared.

If one of the machines is using the shared drive, say A (i.e. writing to
it) and B gets rebooted, A registers a 'networkfailure' and reboots
itself, hence the entire cluster is suddenly down.

There are no log entries describing the reboot that I can find at all.

What i'm wondering is - could DRBD be passing this networkfailure event
up to the kernel somehow and triggering a reboot - does a machine ever
auto-reboot on network failure? At the moment i'm looking at it as a
DRBD problem but didn't want to narrow my scope too early.

Thanks,

Henri