Can't redirect cron output

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Sun Oct 26 20:27:27 UTC 2008

Serge van Ginderachter wrote:
> ----- "Michael Hipp" <Michael at Hipp.com> wrote:
>
>>    # Fetch mail for michael
>>    */10 02-23   * * *   michael   fetchmail &> /dev/null
>
> Shouldn't that line read as follows?
>
>     */10 02-23   * * *   michael   fetchmail > /dev/null

Thanks. I'm trying to send both stdout and stderr to /dev/null.

http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Redirections
-------------------

3.6.4 Redirecting Standard Output and Standard Error

Bash allows both the standard output (file descriptor 1) and the standard error
output (file descriptor 2) to be redirected to the file whose name is the
expansion of word with this construct.

There are two formats for redirecting standard output and standard error:
      &>word
and
      >&word

Of the two forms, the first is preferred. This is semantically equivalent to
      >word 2>&1

I've been using this for some years with no problems until Gutsy.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Michael