Install Xwindows to Ubuntu Server

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Wed Oct 1 14:28:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 20:57 +1000, David Dang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Ubuntu.  I downloaded Unbuntu Desk top and having used it
> very effectively for the last few months. However, I am stuck wit
> Ubuntu Server because it does not have Xwindows. I tried to install it
> many times but I met with failure because it always encounter an IP
> address that it could not be contacted.

Dear David,

If you have an IP address on the Ubuntu Server, it should have been able
to download the ubuntu-desktop packages.

Based on the failure you reported, boot into "recovery mode" on the
Ubuntu Server, select "Drop To Root Shell Prompt", and then review the X
server log in /var/log/Xorg.0.log . Error messages start with an (EE) .

Alternatively, if it's a server, you may prefer to administer it
remotely. This bypasses any X Server problems on the Ubuntu Server. If
you also install the secure shell (openssh-server), you should be able
to connect to that Ubuntu Server remotely with the following command:

$ ssh -X username at ubuntuserver

At that point, you should be able to run GUI admin tools (as well as
regular command line tools) remotely.

Thanks,
Mike