Controlling what packages are installed under ubuntu server

Nick Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Thu Nov 27 13:30:40 UTC 2008

carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I have do it this question one year ago
> (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2007-July/000535.html), but I
> need to know if it is resolved under ubuntu hardy lts server release. Can I pass
> some type of exclude/include list packages to apt to stay sure that this package
>   has 5 years support??
>
> many thanks.

Here is a script that I have been working on to solve this [1].  It is
not yet completely tested, but I guess you could help me find if there
is something wrong with it.

usage: maintenance-check [-f] [release [release...]]

release             Specifies the release to parse from.
                    Defaults to the system release
-f, --filter value  possible values are:
                        n - not officially maintained
                        u - ubuntu desktop
                        k - kubuntu desktop
                        s - ubuntu server

Known issues:
* For releases prior to Hardy, I have yet to modify the seed structure
so that I can distinguish between what's not shipped on cd but supported
and what's not supported at all, so some packages may show as
unsupported while they should.
* Due to the way kernels are updated, the updated kernel packages are
shown as unsupported while they of course are.

Let me know if it helps and if you find issues with it.

[1] http://nicolas.barcet.com/drupal/ubuntu-maintenance-check

Cheers,
Nick