hard to find info about init

jim jim at well.com
Wed Nov 12 05:41:24 UTC 2008

thank you, mike,
   that helps. i've looked at the /etc/event.d/
files and found that none of them contain the
string dhcp or dhclient
# grep -i dhcp /etc/event.d/*
# grep -i dhclient /etc/event.d/*

   essentially, it seems to me, the files in
/etc/event.d/ kick off init with respect to
one of the rc?.d/ directories, depending on
the runlevel the user has specified.
   my system is runlevel 2 and none of the
scripts in /etc/rc2.d/ contain the string
dhclient (or dhcp in either case).

   the wiki that's accessible via a tab on
the top-level upstart page has a link to
stanza's, which looks like an API reference:
"This is a list of stanzas that can be used
in a job file...", but it doesn't give the
absolute pathname for the job file.

   i'm interpreting "upstart" to be the
name of a set of components, something
like "apache" refers to the httpd server
and its config file and libs and so on.

   my test for satisfaction is that i find
a file that init uses (or at least is a
member of the upstart community of software)
and that shows dhclient3 starting up. if
i search and search without finding such,
i'll be guessing that starting up dhclient3
is a matter that it's hard-coded somewhere
(possibly in init binary code) as a
convenience to the developers who forgot
to comment that call out.