hard to find info about init

jim jim at well.com
Wed Nov 12 02:07:43 UTC 2008

   thank you, tiago.
   what i'm looking for is information, a web
page or a book or something, that explains how
the init process is controlled on ubuntu server,
something akin to classic unix documentation
about the /etc/inittab file.
   my hope is to read and learn how to
control the behavior of the init process at
boot time and also as it runs as a daemon
manager.
   the essential question is "what files are
used to configure the init process?" it's
surprising how difficult it is to get an
answer anywhere, given how fundamental init
is to the operating system.
jim