Ubuntu Server graphical interface?

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Sun May 11 19:18:09 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 10:43:46PM +0200, Serge van Ginderachter wrote:
> > The "GUI" should be web based. And the framework needs to store
> > information in an open database, that is a databse that can be
> > accessed, plugged into and added to

> It very much depends on which kind of data you are referring to.
> A lot of the configuration data already is stored somewhere (/etc).
> Some databases already are readily available (ldap?)
>
> My point, be carefull not tu build the n-th new database backend.

How well would this data fit into eBox?

> At first sight, I would be inclined to have a look at what can be stored in the Samba 4 ldap backend.
>
> Tools just would need to
> - interface with that ldap backend, for easy maintenance
> - services connect to that ldap backend to implement the settings (think something like landscape client?)

Good point.  I wonder if the specs for the protocol that landscape
client uses have been published anywhere?  Or they could be
reverse-engineered from the open source code, I guess.

Would it make sense to grow eBox into an enterprise management system
by linking it up with that client?

Or what other building block could it be based on?

Cheers

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/