Ubuntu Server graphical interface?

Martin Hess martinhess at mac.com
Sun May 4 17:01:30 UTC 2008

Jonathan points out that it needs good configuration reporting
capabilities:

> The other requirement that needs to be there is reporting ablity.
> One of things that Landscape is currently lacking from what I have
> heard.  The ability to manage a large group of computers, report
> back on the inventory of the machine (hardware, software, users) and
> create custom reports for the entire enterprise.  An example:  Give
> me all of my servers that have X amount of RAM, plus available slots
> to put more memory in.
>
> Also once this tool is created, expand it more importanlty to my
> clients.  So now I can have one piece of management software that I
> can manage my entire infrastructre across and deploy patches,
> install software, setup, create and deploy confirautions and report
> across the entire enterprise.  You get that piece of software that
> is open source and you will find on of the critical holes.
>
> Jonathan

So here are the general requirements so far:

1) Optional - must not be required for Ubuntu Server
2) Secure - must not have known security issues, must have good known
security architecture
3) Scalable - must be able to administer sets of machines
4) Open Source
5) Easy to use (and setup*) - for 1 or more machines
* I just added the the "setup" part. It seems like that is pretty
important for a single machine use case. If people have to spend a lot
of time just getting it working for a single machine then it isn't
going to get much acceptance.

And these are the major feature categories:

1) Package management
2) User management
3) Security updates
4) Repository management
5) System monitoring
7) Service management (starting/stopping/monitoring)
8) Service configuring
	- router
	- dhcp
	- web