Ubuntu Server graphical interface?

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Sat May 3 09:48:15 UTC 2008

After our border gateway hard drive crashed yesterday, we installed
Hardy Alternate CLI on an old spare server which served honorably on
the work bench testing hardware. We installed openssh-server and ebox*
(mostly) and moved to a workstation.

After dealing with network interfaces and adding one firewall rule, we
were back in business. An hour or so of tweaking, mostly with Ebox, we
snatched an Ebox backup and settled into a night of Java which was the
original goal for the day.

It is hard to imagine the utility of a desktop on this server for any
purpose. I wouldn't mind some specific examples where that might be
true.

Ebox has a few rough spots and the documentation is "general" and
presupposes a general understanding of server maintenance. The IRC
chatroom on freenode and the wiki pages at
http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki are a help for the unfamiliar.
There is an Apache modules in the works.

We plan on doing a roll up of three servers this month which will
check out the utility of most of the features.

Jim