Ubuntu Server graphical interface?

Ante Karamatic ivoks at grad.hr
Sat May 3 07:20:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2 May 2008 14:23:31 -0500
"Dustin Kirkland" <kirkland at canonical.com> wrote:

> I haven't seen anyone yet mention "fluxbox".  It, too, is a very
> minimal approach to a gui desktop.

I was trying avoiding this discussion, but I can't anymore :)

What's the purpose of fluxbox, openbox, xfce, enlightenment (etc...) on
server? It's not like you have some point and click application for
setting up apache virtual website or psotfix transport tables.

Even GNOME and KDE don't have flexible applications for server
management. Still, if someone really wants (for some strange reason) X
window system on server, I see more reasons to install full GNOME or
KDE, than some X window manager just for xterm.

Having some small footprint window manager and then open 10-15 xterm
sessions with vim running is kind of dumb :) It's much better to just
ssh to server. Or even, set up ssh GVFS/KIO inside (k)ubuntu desktop
and edit files with gedit, if vim is to complicated :)