Server Team 20080326 meeting minutes

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Mar 27 11:40:03 UTC 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 04:03, Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 02:47:42AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >> ACTION: owh to attach existing patches to bugs in LP and forward them
> >> to Debian.
> >
> > Was there any discussion of why we want to create this permanent diff
> > with Debian over init scripts?
>
> If we're not ever going to change the init scripts to upstart, the whole
> point of upstart sort of vanishes, doesn't it?

I don't think so.  It was my understanding that we're already seeing some
benifit to it from using it to bring the system up.

If a package is already substantially different and the Debian maintainer
isn't active in Ubuntu, then this might be reasonable to do.  In other cases
I tend to think not.

As an example, I think I recall BIND and Postfix mentioned as packages to
migrate.  For those two packages, Lamont maintains them in Debian with both
Debian and Ubuntu in mind and any Ubuntu revision is transient.  To create a
permanent diff for packages like these would impose additional effort and I
think it should be thought through and not just done because we can.

Scott K