XFS In Dapper [previously posted to ubuntu-users]

Oliver Brakmann obrakmann at gmx.net
Thu Mar 6 06:38:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-05 16:23, Michael Hipp wrote...
> >> Importantly, you can have data-loss on XFS if you lose power suddenly,
> >> perhaps more so than ext3. When files get corrupted on XFS, I have
> >> noticed they go to zero size
> >
> > I believe I read somewhere that that has been fixed some time ago.
>
> Oliver, could you perchance find a reference for that? Dapper really
> isn't that old.

Yes, I found it again.  It's in the XFS FAQ, actually:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#nulls

Sadly, the fix only went in for 2.6.22, so Dapper (probably) doesn't
have it.  Also, it doesn't say how it was fixed, or how the new
behaviour is.  I haven't looked for the changeset in question itself,
maybe it sheds some light on the issue.

HTH,
Oliver