XFS In Dapper [previously posted to ubuntu-users]

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 23:26:32 UTC 2008

On 05/03/2008, Michael Hipp <Michael at hipp.com> wrote:

> I've experienced this data loss on XFS more than once due to one kind of
>  abrupt shutdown or another. XFS seems fragile. Almost like it's not a
>  journaled filesystem at all.

It's an enterprise FS from big iron country. It - and JFS - were
designed in the expectation that they would at all times be run on a
machine protected by a UPS with automatic shutdown, because that's
just what you /do/ with big corporate servers. It's not even a
question.

Alas, it's *not* a given in Linux-land...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508