XFS In Dapper [previously posted to ubuntu-users]

Nick Webb nick at freelock.com
Wed Mar 5 06:12:15 UTC 2008

David Kempe wrote:
> XFS is good, we use it on dapper all the time. My largest XFS filesystem
> is 5.5TB formatted.
> I have to say 64-bit is the only way to go for this - the xfs repair
> tools can't handle larger filesystems in 32bit mode.
> btw, one thing I found was that xfs_repair can chew massive amounts of
> ram to run a repair on a filesystem. I had a 2TB fs take nearly 8gb of
> ram (and swap) to repair it. It did a good job of repairing, and took
> ages. So XFS is not free of the fsck problem, just xfs_check is faster
> and perhaps less thorough (dunno).

I'll be doing all of these on 64-bit systems, good to know.  I just got
a new project today that will start out around 5TB and likely grow to 7
or 8 soon.  Not all these systems have enough ram + swap to get to 8GB
of virtual memory, I wonder how it works without that much, I hope it
doesn't just fail?

Also, you can run xfs_check online, right?  That's my impression, so at
least the server isn't down during the check, although it will likely be
crawling.

> Importantly, you can have data-loss on XFS if you lose power suddenly,
> perhaps more so than ext3. When files get corrupted on XFS, I have
> noticed they go to zero size, whereas in messy situations with ext3 I
> have noticed you are more likely to loose metadata than data. I still
> would stick with XFS anyday though, even just because the sheer increase
> in format time.

Yes I've heard this as well from some RedHat/CentOS friends.  My intent
would be to make sure all the systems with XFS have a good UPS, and are
setup to shutdown on power loss.  Of course, we'll have a good backup
plan as well.  That should mitigate things to the point it doesn't
really matter...

> I have had good results on many different types of block devices as well.
>
> thanks
>
> dave

Thanks much Dave, I'm feeling more confident already.

--
Nick Webb
System Administrator