XFS In Dapper [previously posted to ubuntu-users]

David Kempe dave at solutionsfirst.com.au
Wed Mar 5 06:04:59 UTC 2008

Nick Webb wrote:
> I've got a couple projects coming up that will have a file systems >=
> 2TB and I'm thinking of using XFS for it.  Main feature of XFS I need is
> the lack of fsck at startup (fsck for ext2/3 will take many hours with a
> 2TB partition).  The file system will also likely have many large files,
> so XFS seems to be a good choice for this as well.

XFS is good, we use it on dapper all the time. My largest XFS filesystem
is 5.5TB formatted.
I have to say 64-bit is the only way to go for this - the xfs repair
tools can't handle larger filesystems in 32bit mode.
btw, one thing I found was that xfs_repair can chew massive amounts of
ram to run a repair on a filesystem. I had a 2TB fs take nearly 8gb of
ram (and swap) to repair it. It did a good job of repairing, and took
ages. So XFS is not free of the fsck problem, just xfs_check is faster
and perhaps less thorough (dunno).

Importantly, you can have data-loss on XFS if you lose power suddenly,
perhaps more so than ext3. When files get corrupted on XFS, I have
noticed they go to zero size, whereas in messy situations with ext3 I
have noticed you are more likely to loose metadata than data. I still
would stick with XFS anyday though, even just because the sheer increase
in format time.

I have had good results on many different types of block devices as well.

thanks

dave