Ubuntu server GUI

Oliver Brakmann obrakmann at gmx.net
Mon Jun 30 18:31:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 15:08, JAWUD wrote...
> There are several options for a GUI.
> [...]
> The last option is to make a remote GUI system.

I like that.

> All the interfaces are just different front ends. So I think ubuntu needs a
> configuration abstraction layer. Something like Augeas. Augeas can become the
> back end and then it's easier to build different GUIs. Augeas intend to cover
> all commonly used configuration files and it is still possible to edit the
> config files manual.

I'm a bit concerned that there is only talk about editing configuration
files in all these discussions.  There's more to system administration
than that.

I'm also surprised that noone has mentioned 'func' yet, even though it
was prominently featured on LWN's front page an issue or two ago:
<http://lwn.net/Articles/286496/>. I believe it could be a good
supplement to augeas.

Oliver