Ubuntu server GUI

Luke L lukehasnoname at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 00:13:18 UTC 2008

> I think both of you have your points, but are rather missing what nxvl is
> trying to accomplish.  Personally I have about half a dozen servers that I
> manage related to my business.  I can, and do, ssh into each one and
> do "stuff" to administer them.  This is a good and right way to do
> Linux 'stuff'.  I encourage admins to know how to do this and not be
> dependent on a GUI even if one is available.  This is not the problem that
> (as I understand it) nxvl is trying to work on.
>
> If I had 1,000 web servers running on blades with a SAN backend, then I have
> to administer them completely differently.  What we do not have at all is
> higher level tools to manage large sets of servers effectively.  This, I
> think, is the problem space he's working in.

I admit I do not know the details of the nxvl spec; I've heard a lot
of different ideas about a lot of management tools in the past month,
and I shall attempt (on Monday) to get my head straightened out on the
details.

However, the OP has suggested the usefulness of a GUI of some form to
manage Ubuntu servers. This is a broad concept, indeed. I do wish to
defend the idea of developing easier, more friendly ways of managing
servers. Tasks that can be made easier should be, as most people do
not need to know the dozens of console commands and the cryptic
switches for each.

 There is no "right" or wrong way to admin a server, Scott. There can
be simpler and advanced, more or less automation and control, but not
a "right" and "wrong". If custom, "by-hand" installation of software
gives more control to the user, why do we need tasksel, for example? A
GUI is a tool that many users can appreciate, even if you do not wish
to.

I tell you this: If Ubuntu were to be the first Linux distro with
out-of-the-box customization and easy to use management of services
(in the form of a custom shell or GUI), it would increase its userbase
drastically.

I've often wondered if IT types wish to keep things complex in order
to maintain job security, heh.