Ubuntu server GUI

Brett Alton brett.jr.alton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 17:07:55 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Luke L <lukehasnoname at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Mario Spinthiras <mspinthiras at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My 2p,
>>
>> You don't need a higher layer on top of ubuntu or any other Linux
>> distro to handle your linux distro. The thought only complicates an
>> admin's life and is unecessary. As for a GUI , stick to windows if you
>> feel a GUI is appropriate. People with Linux have done just fine with
>> an "as is" approach to the UI and it's not going to change whatever
>> you say or do.
>

> You're one of "those"... Listen, Linux is powerful and can do anything
> you want it to do in terms of software (Except play Supreme Commander)
> from the command line. We are all aware. But GUIs really can and do
> help productivity with increasingly complicated tasks. A GUI or
> "Server Console", as the term is coined, is an abstraction layer to
> help make the system more integrated and easy to manage.
>
> Ubuntu's goal is to be a Linux distribution for the masses, for the
> desktop AND server; to make things easy and understandable without
> compromising power. The server console is a part of this, and I fully
> believe it will be developed as some of our programmers are done with
> this hectic 6-month period.
>
> Finally, don't EVER tell people "Use Windows for a GUI". That is a
> misguided statement that does not take into consideration of the other
> MANY reasons why someone would be using a Linux box over a Windows
> one.
> --
> Luke L.

In agreement with Luke.

How many resources could a web-based administration program take up
when it's not being administered? Apache, or even the python server
take no process power and very little memory while sleeping. If you're
an advanced server admin, that's fine, don't install it.

--
Brett Alton
brett.jr.alton at gmail.com

Do you really need to print this email? Help preserve our environment!